Safeguarding the people and animals of Idaho

Idaho Board of Veterinary Medicine

2230 Old Penitentiary Road
P.O. Box 7249
Boise, ID 83707
Phone: (208) 332-8588
Fax: (208) 332-8645

Idaho State Veterinarian

Dr. Bill Barton
P.O. Box 7249
Boise, ID 83707
Phone: (208) 332-8540

Veterinary Medical Licensure Home

Application for Veterinary Licensure

For all types of veterinary licensure in Idaho, applicants must be qualified for and successfully complete the North American Veterinary Licensure Exam (NAVLE) offered by the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME, formerly NBEC), or have successfully completed the National Board Examination and Clinical Competency Test (CCT).

Applying for a Veterinary License

The Board reviews applications and issues licenses at their regularly scheduled board meetings in January and June of each year.  In order for the application to be considered at the January or June meeting, the first five (5) pages of the application complete, with all notarized signatures and applicable fees, must have received at the Board office no later than the first day of the month of the scheduled review (January or June).  Applications received after the first of the month will not be considered until the following scheduled review meeting.

Additional required documents that are part of the application may be received after the first of the month; however, a license will not be issued by the Board office until all required documents have been received and processed, even though the Board has tentatively approved the license.  These additional documents include:

1. Results of the fingerprint-based Criminal Background Check
It can take up to four weeks for the Idaho State Police/FBI offices to process and notify the Board office of the results of the fingerprint-based check.  Please take this in account when applying for licensure

NAVLE or NBE/CCT scores:
These exam scores must be sent directly to the Board office from the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB).  Please contact the AAVSB at to make arrangements for the scores to be sent in a timely manner.

3. An official transcript from your veterinary school that includes the date the degree was conferred or a certified copy of your diploma:
Most candidates find having their school send official transcripts easier than having the school send a certified copy of the diploma.  Either way, each item must be sent directly to the office from the school.  Photocopies are not acceptable in either case.

4. Affidavits of moral character:
You must provide two notarized affidavits of moral character, each from a currently licensed veterinarian in any state who knows you personally or has worked with you.

5. A completed Idaho jurisprudence examination in which you earn a score of at least 90%.
The exam, which is open-book, is included in your application packet.

6. Verification of licensure form every State and Province in which you currently hold, or have held, a license:
Contact each states licensing board individually and request that they send a license verification directly to the Board office.

If your license application is denied by the Board, you will be allowed the return of the license fee portion of the application.  You may also request a hearing pursuant to the procedures set forth in the Idaho Administrative Procedure Act.

Veterinarians who practice in Idaho must be federally accredited in the State in order to sign health certificates for the interstate and international movement of small and large animals.  Accreditation is managed by the USDA Veterinary Services Office and the Idaho State Veterinarian’s Office. Please call (208) 332-8540 for more information.  Applicants who are issued a supervised temporary license by the Board will not be allowed by USDA to sign health certificates until their permanent veterinary license is issued.  Applicants who are issued an unsupervised temporary license by the Board will be allowed to sign health certificates after they have made arrangements with the above mentioned agencies. 

Conversion of Licensure From Active Status to Inactive Status

All new licenses are Active by default. Conversion of an Active license to Inactive status may be performed at the time of annual license renewal. The license renewal form sent to you prior to the renewal date contains the appropriate instructions for converting an Active license to an Inactive license. Conversion from Inactive to Active status may be made by submitting a written application, paying all required fees, and by meeting other requirements for reinstatement as defined in the Board rules.

Temporary Permits

Applicants for temporary permits follow the same procedures as applicants for a new, Active license. In addition, an applicant requesting a temporary permit must provide verification that, during the twelve (12) months immediately preceding issuance of the temporary permit, s/he has been in active veterinary practice in another state, or will work under the professional supervision of an actively-licensed veterinarian.

April 12, 2019